Sailors on the Sea

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Shut Down

Well, my service provider got smacked yesterday and shut down its service for the entire State of Minnesota. Fortunately, they are back up today, allowing me this one final chance to post before going offline due to losing my home. We are scheduled to be back online some time this week, but I'll believe that when it happens.

That's become the story of my life: believing when it happens.

Someone once asked me if I'm a "glass half empty or half full" kind of person. Get the h*ll out of here! The glass is empty you muttonhead.

People like that drive me nuts. I mean, I like to dream more than most people, but ultimately I live in the real world.

I have a character, Elden, in the sequel to Traitor who is like that. I enjoyed writing him because he is just so obliviously positive about everything it drives everyone around him nuts. Some of the other characters become speechless. Some want to hit him. Doesn't matter to Elden. He just continues on his merry way, unconcerned about any setback. To him, everything is part of the plan and so no matter what happens are going according to plan.

This is mostly what my Main Character is confronted by in Prophecies of Madatar: people who just don't seem to be listening. Everyone around him has their own preconceived notion of what is reality and they live accordingly. Unfortunately, none of their realities conform to his own and he spends a good deal of the second book fighting just to make people understand what he's trying to tell them.

I like the approach because there is tension when characters "just don't get it". It can also be used to humorous effect, which I do often throughout the book. But through it all, the main character, while not abandoning his own sense of reality, begins to see these other characters in different light, and comes to appreciate their unique views on life in general, and him in particular.

Began the second edit for Prophecies of Madatar yesterday. As I wrote my good friend, I'm not sure why I'm bothering as I'm not doing anything about getting Traitor published. It looks like I've kind of given up on a lot of things.

In any case, this is the 268th post for this blog since October 21st of 2008. I don't know when the 269th will occur. As I have done with my other blogs (excepting the Legion Blog, which has the potential to continue without me) I will leave off with a song. Most of the songs have been dreamy and sentimental. This one I will make high energy. Let us go out with a bang!

The telephone is ringing
You got me on the run
I'm driving in my car now
Anticipating fun
I'm driving right up to you, babe
I guess that you couldn't see, yeah yeah
But you under my wheels
Why don't you let me be

'Cause when you call me on the telephone
Saying take me to the show
And then I say, honey, I just can't go
Old lady sends me packing leaving home

The telephone is ringing
You got me on the run
I'm driving in my car now
I got you under my wheels
I got you under my wheels
I got you under my wheels
Yeah yeah
I got you under my wheels
Yeah yeah
I got you under my wheels

The telephone is ringing
You got me on the run
I'm driving in my car now
Anticipating fun
I'm driving right up to you, babe
I guess you that couldn't see, yeah yeah
But you was under my wheels, honey
Why don't you let me be, yeah yeah
I got you under my wheels
I got you under my wheels
I got you under my wheels
Yeah yeah

We're gonna drive down to LA
We're gonna watch the young girls play
Because I want you
Because he wants you


2 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

With any luck you won't be gone for long.

Bevie said...

Thanks. You, and my other online friends, make getting back here imperative.

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think