Sailors on the Sea

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Starting Over Again - and Again - and Again - and

So, I set my new story (WWOD) aside for the time being and started a new new story (ACG). (The letters are acronyms of the working titles.)

ACG #1 went about 1,100-words before I decided I didn't like some things and restarted.

Using pieces of ACG #1, ACG #2 made it past the point of stopping on #1, but only by a little. Word length, about 1,400-words, ending with the clever phrase, "I look forward to seeing more of you."

ACG #3 actually completed a chapter. It dealt more strongly with some concepts I am trying to establish, but it didn't "feel right" to me. I liked what I had written, but it just didn't seem to be the story I wanted to tell. Another 4,200-words tossed aside.

ACG #4 became a rewrite of Chapter One and a lot of words in Chapter Two. But that's how it feels to me: like a lot of words. There are more than 2,800-words in Chapter Two, but I don't know that I'm saying anything. I do tend to babble.

So, I've received some good advice and help from a friend, and done a bit of reading which helps. Now I'm going to begin ACG #5. Only it won't be called ACG anymore. I haven't got a new working title but, based on new feelings, ideas, and unspoken messages from my main character, ACG no longer fits what the story is really about. So I'll come up with something new. Something I like.

Speaking of titles, like nearly everyone, I think I'm good at them (and at the same time not being impressed with many who are acclaimed). There have been several books I have passd on because of the title, and when I learn a previous version I think I would have bought the book had the original title been kept. Not always.

Finally, I want to put in a plug for fairyhedgehog's blog. The truth is, I think she may be the only visitor this blog gets anymore, but on the chance someone else passes by I want to redirect them. Her latest post provided me with some help for my ACG problems, and I thought to give her some advertising. Fairyhedgehog frequently posts helpful hints and links.

4 comments:

writtenwyrdd said...

Hey Bevie, glad to see you still about. I haven't been reading blogs the past few weeks so I haven't caught up, but I sure hope things are going well for you.

Bevie said...

Hi, writtenwyrdd. Yes, the surgery. From when I visited your site I'm gathering that went all right and that you're all right.

Time and things keep moving forward, which means good news is getting closer and closer all the time.

Thanks

fairyhedgehog said...

Thanks for the plug! I'm glad your story is going ahead. I'm just waiting for Nanowrimo.

Bevie said...

No problem. Thanks.

I'd be willing to be money (if I had any) that I don't write anything in November.

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think