Sailors on the Sea

Monday, February 1, 2010

Nothing I Want to Write

Got no work in progress. Not really. I'm working on background data from a story, but I'm not actually writing the story. Not even thinking heavily about a story. Just working on the background data.

I feel drained. It's coming up on two years since I was last kicked out of the work force. I've spent most of that time writing. Not getting paid for it, mind you. But writing just the same.

It's hard to be a writer when one no longer believes one can write. It's like, why bother? Right?

But it's even harder being a writer when one has no inspiration to write.

Right now I have no story I want to tell. But I want to tell a story. Does that make sense? Not really, I suppose. Despite all I have written in the past eighteen months I am less confident in my writing now than I have ever been in my life. It is why bother time.

4 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

It's hard when there isn't a story forcing its way out. Give it time, Bevie. I'm sure it will come.

Bevie said...

Thanks. I've got scene ideas, and I've been writing them down. But there's no story yet.

writtenwyrdd said...

When stuck, retell a fairy tale in a different genre. I started a horror story of beauty and the beast, but switched it up so the normal roles are traded about.

It at least works as an intellectual exercise to get the juices flowing.

Of course, doing worldbuilding stuff is great, too, for building enthusiasm and creative juices.

Bevie said...

Thanks. Cool advice. That's worth giving a go.

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think