Sailors on the Sea

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Chalk Another One Up

Well, I have done it. I have completed my latest draft. It's a 42,000-word story about my latest super hero. Began it ten days ago. Or was it eleven?

I love it when things come together and a story just flows. That's what happened with Fire Red: Hot Times.

Now comes the hard part: Editing.

Wouldn't it be great if we could just write great pieces of art on our first try? Supposedly, there are writers who do that. I'm told Dick Frances never changed a word once he wrote it. He did all of his editing in his head beforehand. Not sure I believe it, but as I can't disprove it I'll accept it until I hear otherwise.

Unfortunately, I'm not like that. My first drafts read like, well, first drafts. And that means I have to rewrite them. Not fun.

In the meantime I intend to revel in the fact that I wrote another story. Huzzah, huzzah.

4 comments:

writtenwyrdd said...

But where would the FUN be in a perfect first draft, Bevie?

Bevie said...

So, you're an editing lover, are you? I visited someone's blog about a month ago where she asked whether one was a creator or an editor. The editors outnumbered me about 20-1.

I don't know what the joy is in revising. For me, the joy is in creation. Polishing is okay, but it doesn't compare with creating.

fairyhedgehog said...

Yay, go Bevie! It's a good one too.

Bevie said...

Thanks. Not looking forward to editing. haha

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think