Sailors on the Sea

Monday, November 17, 2008

A New Perspective

I am currently in the process of reading someone else's New Beginning to their story posted on the Evil Editor's blog (New Beginning 575 if you're interested) and the comments EE's Minions have made. I haven't finished reading all of the comments, but I'm thinking the advice they are giving the author of NB-575 may work for me. What they are complaining about is redundancy. Considering my style, skill (whatever) it is quite likely Flames of Hatred (at least one of them hates that title by the way) suffers similarily.

What I think I will do is to simply read Flames of Hatred and track that information being given in each paragraph. This may be the wrong way to go about attempting a major rewrite wherein the purpose is to reduce word length without changing the story, but it's something to try. I've never rewritten simply to reduce/enlarge word length. Nearly always my editing and rewriting does reduce word count, but that is not by design. My editing consists of looking for things which do not contribute to the story. True, redundancy does not contribute, but sometimes when looking at trees one fails to notice the forest. The comments on NB-575 have awakened me to the evils of redundancy.

So, today I don't feel like giving up. Thank to Evil Editor and his Minions, I have a plan. I'll be excited about it until it fails me, or I achieve success. May God grant me success. I would like to start winning for a change.

No comments:

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think