Sailors on the Sea

Thursday, July 23, 2009

One Dream Gets Slapped Down While Another Dream Sprouts New Hope

Well, I heard back from the agent. Turns out my original query was sent blank. Oh, the wonders and joys of electronic submission. How I managed to do that, I don't know. Guess I'm just brilliant. Anyway, once I discovered my error I resent my query. It took less than a day to be rejected. Another joy of technology. One need not wait on pins and needles wondering what one's fate is. There is instant de-gratification.

So now I must seek out a new agent to contact. Or is it harass? Either way, it isn't a task I enjoy. Nor am I very good at it.

On a positive note, I was granted inspiration the other day and I wrote the first episode in what I hope will become a long series of short stories. It's a series of vignettes for two young children, a girl and a boy, who become friends and grow up together. The stories are meant to be "feel good" kind of stories, emphasizing (as my first Reader put it) companionship and friendship, as opposed to any specific social theme. No doubt social themes will pop up, but not as a predetermined point of the stories. I just want to emphasize how friends really do remain friends, through thick and thin. Everything else is just background. If the stories work out well, they may qualify to be put together in a book. We'll see.

What surprises me is the lack of despair I feel over being rejected. Again. I guess I really am getting used to it. I will search for a new agent. And when I have found one I will submit a query to them, hoping beyond hope they will ignore my word count and just ask to read the manuscript. But I confess my excitement and hope wanes exponentially with each rejection. Submitting becomes just another burden which must be performed. No hope of change. Just do it. Because.

I know what's going to happen. I will die. At that point there will be no more inspirations for new series, heroes, stories, or epic tales. Then, Son will put all of my things together and sell them in a big package and make a zillion dollars. And I will never know.

Yeah. Right. That's even less likely than me getting an agent right now.

Oh, well. Back to the search engine.

2 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

You keep going. That's the important thing.

And the children's story is delightful.

Bevie said...

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

I know. I've gone too far to stop now. My choice has been made and I must follow through - no matter how long it takes. Just wish it didn't take so long.

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think