Sailors on the Sea

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Warrie's Dreams

Definitely Poetry Day. Posted poems on Tales From The Great Sea and A Voice in the Wind.

My poetry is hardly inspirational, but it says things quickly. That's the beauty of poetry for me. Instead of requiring chapters to set up scenes and develop characters, poems assume much and get right to the topic. Generally, I can say what I want within 100- to 300-words. This one took over 200.

These aren't my best poems, but I like them. I particularly like what I've been posting on Tales From The Great Sea. They speak to me.

Warrie's Dreams
by Bevie James

Warrie like to dream a lot, it made her feel better

She imagined she was beautiful, and wore Leedle’s sweater
Thoughts of being called at night, asked out for a date
Filled Warrie’s dreams but still she knew, for that she’d have to wait

It was sad to see the other girls, get asked to the dance
While Warrie stayed home all alone, she never got a chance
When she began state college, she thought her life would change
But still the boys did not call her, they said that she was strange

In time she came to realize, that she was destined to be single
And ceased to go out to the bars, or dances there to mingle
So Warrie lived a quiet life, she had a flat alone
No one called on Warrie then, she did not have a phone

In September of her senior year her landlord came to say
That Warrie must now share her flat with a senior girl named Faye
Faye moved in and all was well, the two grew friendly fast
And by the time the snows did fall, Warrie’s pain was past

Now Warrie lives a happy life, with Faye right by her side
Faye has asked to marry her, they’ve nothing more to hide
It’s not about being beautiful, it’s not about the dance
It’s letting someone touch your heart, it’s giving them a chance

2 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

I wonder what it is for both of us that attracts us to stories of women in love with each other.

Bevie said...

Not sure. I kind of have an idea. Not sure I want to say it on my blog. Don't want to be misunderstood.

My stories and poems are all fictional, of course, and so they are what I want them to be: loving, caring, gentle, accepting. In real life there are arguments, and sometimes even violence. But I write about love. And women seem to express it so much better than men. At least, in my writing they do.

Contributors

A Tentative Schedule

Monday - Progress Report
Where am I with regard to the Current Book

Tuesday - Thoughts About Writing
I was going to be profound, but let's be real

Wednesday - What Am I Learning
What can I take from what I am doing

Thursday - Work Sent Out For Review
Respondes to my submissions

Friday - Other Works of Fantasy
Some of my other fantasy writing

Saturday - The Impact of Music
How music has influenced what I write

Sunday - Venting
My 'morbid' time. A safe compromise, I think